Thursday, December 6, 2012

Gingerbread

Preschool Activities
Today, my little man enjoyed a Gingerbread man coloring page.  Then we hung some cinnamon dough ornaments on the tree from last Christmas. It absolutely amazes me how wonderful these ornaments smell year after year. 

We talked a little bit about how people used to decorate their trees and windows at Christmas with homemade ornaments made from gingerbread dough. I pulled the ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon out of the pantry and let him smell each one. Then I used these spices to make gingerbread pancakes for lunch. I even made a few in the shape of the letter G using a turkey baster to pour the batter. Can you tell, I was pretty proud of myself!

Family Activities
When the older boys got home from school, I pulled out some graham crackers and frosting so they could build gingerbread houses. I showed them some pictures of gingerbread houses online, including this gingerbread nativity, and encouraged them to be creative. 

Once they were done their construction, we talked about the different houses we've lived in and why we've moved over the years. We prayed together, thanking God for blessing our family with the house we currently live in and prayed for each person that lives in our house. 

Service Activities
Serve as a family at a homeless shelter. Younger kids can help by sorting donations at the food pantry.

Snacks
Graham crackers and icing left over from making gingerbread houses. 

Songs
5 Little Gingerbreadmen
Gingerbread Boys and Girls 

Books
The Sweet Smell of Christmas, by Patricia Scarry
Gingerbread Friends, by Jan Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment